Welcome and Introduction
- Course outline and objectives
Handling Sensitive Issues well
- Types of sensitive issues. What makes an issue sensitive?
- Why are these situations difficult to manage?
- Delegates experience and challenges
The Broad Legal Framework
- An overview of legislation
- Dismissal and Discrimination law
- Duty of care and contractual obligations
- Practical considerations for managers; role and responsibilities.
- What personal issues may impact work?
- Health, Stress and Mental Illness, terminal illness etc.
- Alcohol and drug addiction
- Changes to circumstances e.g. divorce, bereavement etc.
- Group Exercise on strategies for handling personal issues
Debrief of Group Exercise
- Relevant policies and procedures/other sources of support
Managing Personal Issues
- A Manager’s role and responsibility. Checklist of managerial skills
- A Conversational Approach: Preparing for and holding the meeting
- Group Exercise: Understanding and managing emotional reactions in others
- Managing your emotions
Managing Work Related Issues
- Organisational changes/redundancy/work related stress etc.
- Managing allegations and incidents e.g. conduct, grievances etc.
- Harassment and bullying: Challenging inappropriate behaviour
- Informal action and formal procedures
- Scenario exercise
Other Sensitive Issues
- Group Exercise focused on other sensitive issues relevant to the group such as:
- Personal hygiene
- Personality clashes
- Appearance at work
- Capability and performance issues
- Debrief of exercise
- Practical tips and strategies including how to give effective, constructive feedback
- Preparing for and conducting a meeting around a sensitive situation and /or managing challenging responses. Scenarios will be written bespoke for clients to ensure maximum relevance and learning.
- Final questions and review of key issues from the day