Welcome and introduction
- Key steps in the recruitment process
- What makes recruitment challenging?
- Identifying best practice
The broad legal framework
- The law as it affects recruitment and selection
- Practical implications of the Equality Act 2010
- Disability and Reasonable Adjustments
- The Burden of Proof in Discrimination
- Legal pitfalls at each step of the process
- Case Law
- Defining the role and the person specification
- Exercise: Assessing the robustness and potential legal risks of a job description and person specification.
Advertising and the Selection Process
- Sourcing candidates. Internal and external recruitment
- The advert. Use of social media and technology.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of your advertising strategy.
- How to shortlist and record your decision.
Selection and Assessment Strategies
- Assessing candidates against defined selection criteria.
- The effectiveness of interviews, tests and other assessment options
- Scoring candidates and recording your decision.
- Designing a selection process
- The purpose of the interview
- What makes an interview effective?
- How to gain evidence through questions .Questions to avoid
- The skills of an interviewer
- Keeping the interview on track.
- Managing assumptions and unconscious bias.
- Making the candidate experience a positive one
- Exercise: Reviewing and writing effective questions.
Skills practice tailored to group
- This can take the form of interview skills practice where delegates plan and conduct an interview or case studies which delegates will review and assess the robustness of a recruitment process and recommend improvements to ensure compliance with best practice, relevant internal policies and the law.
The Selection Decision
- Evaluating your candidates and documentation
- Informing candidates of your decision
- How to give feedback to unsuccessful candidates
- Pre-employment checks
- Evaluating the effectiveness of your recruitment process
- Final questions and review of key issues from the day
Remember: All of our courses are individually designed to meet our client’s needs. This programme is just an illustration of what the course can cover.